Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to choose

Get help with Sick Beard and report/discuss bugs

Re: Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to cho

Postby zoggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 am

dmca is a bitch. use block/fill/other providers or other means of obtaining the files.
zoggy

Postby baronmog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 pm

zoggy wrote:dmca is a bitch. use block/fill/other providers or other means of obtaining the files.

I've tried using block/fill providers from other USPs in the US, as well as Dutch USPs. Still irrecoverably incomplete. These are posts from the last 30-60 days, so it's not like they would have expired of old age.

Ah, well. Guess I'll catch up on some of my book backlog (think I've got 6 or 7 books that I'm in the middle of, at the moment).
baronmog

Postby tampabuc2004 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm

zoggy wrote:dmca is a bitch. use block/fill/other providers or other means of obtaining the files.

What is this block/fill/other providers your speak of, i am currently using supernews and more and more of my downloads are failing for both sickbeard and couchpotato(which is failing more than sickbeard)? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
tampabuc2004

Postby baronmog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm

tampabuc2004 wrote:What is this block/fill/other providers your speak of, i am currently using supernews and more and more of my downloads are failing for both sickbeard and couchpotato(which is failing more than sickbeard)? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Well, there's providers like Blocknews.net (who's a reseller for ReadNews) and Tweaknews (a Dutch usenet provider). Block providers sell you "blocks" of bandwidth that don't expire (i.e. 200GB for $21). You set up your usenet client to use them as a backup source if your primary doesn't have the article. Generally you want to make sure that your backup providers aren't resellers for your primary.

http://www.usenet-providers.net/newsgroup-resellers.php
baronmog

Postby Fry-kun » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Anyone switch to using torrents because of this?
How safe/dangerous is it?
Fry-kun

Postby enchant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 am

Are there any providers that are better than others, when it comes to shows that are taken down? I don't want to spend money on another provider that is also missing what I need.

HBO seems to be taking down all of it's shows immediately, and I'd like to find an alternative way to get them. I'd go with torrents, but I don't know of an indexer.
enchant

Postby grahamtechie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:00 pm

whats the best supplier for less takedowns, I too am having problems on backlog searches and I am on newsdemon but was recently on astraweb which had even less of what I wanted?
grahamtechie

Postby qlum » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:00 pm

A great tip for people in the Netherands and elsewhere it can be very useful to look at combining your usenet provider with your ISP as some usenet providers are at the same time isp's. Sure a lot of isp's offer rudamentry usenet but that is practically worthless.

I currently use Tweak as my isp which was the cheapest on 60mbit anyway and it also offers me tweaknews with no limits at full bandwidth so really a good deal. I did not notice any problems with takedowns then again I don't use it for very long and only started using it after I switched isp.

I did try the supernatural episode you wanted to try and it did work fine.
qlum

Postby yukichigai » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 pm

grahamtechie wrote:whats the best supplier for less takedowns, I too am having problems on backlog searches and I am on newsdemon but was recently on astraweb which had even less of what I wanted?

Any of the Big Three Resellers (Highwinds, Giganews, and Readnews) are pretty much guaranteed to have immediate takedowns when there's even a hint of DMCA floating their way. Hell, most HBO shows on those three get pulled mere minutes after the upload finishes. A few others are affected, notably Astraweb and some others. Basically if it's not run by some company you've never heard of, it's probably going to have DMCA-induced retention issues for older posts.

What I've found that works for me (when I have not-crap internet) is a decent cheap "mainstream" provider (one of the Big Three) and a mix of the free providers (weathergirl-ipv6, xs4all-ipv6, xsusenet, just4today, tweaknews, my ISP if relevant) + one weird cheap offshoot provider (hitnews in my case) serving as backup. The mainstream provider will get 85% of what I want, and when that fails the mix of the others will generally grab me what I need, if slowly.

As far as backups, it's really up to you. Block news accounts (outside the Big Three) are mostly immune to DMCA issues, but not completely. Paying $21 for 200 gigs of download is probably worth it if you will only need to download backlogs rarely. For me, that 200 gigs would last much longer than a year. On the other hand, the offshoot providers are often times a safer bet for retention and can be super cheap, especially if max speed isn't your primary concern. Right now Hitnews is my only paid provider because they offer really cheap rates for an account with speeds capped at just under what my pathetic internet is capable of (3m, if you wondered).

Anyway, there's some links that offer good information on figuring out who is reselling what:

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgroup_server_resellers

http://www.usenet-providers.net/newsgroup-resellers.php

Between those two you should be able to figure out a good mix of providers. The only way to have good coverage is to have multiple providers.
yukichigai

Postby stevepork » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:31 pm

OMG....... Not one of you have mentioned the service I am using!!!!

Newsdeamon.com -- cheap as chips, I pay $8 a month! Cheaper than anyone else has mentioned!!!!

Again, it maxes out my connection with 50 available. Servers in US and Europe and 1716 day retention!!!!

Beat that!
stevepork

PreviousNext

Return to Support / Bug Reports