Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to choose

Get help with Sick Beard and report/discuss bugs

Re: Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to cho

Postby unixTechie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 am

Try xsnews.com - Dutch provider, takes credit cards.
unixTechie

Postby jaearess » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:56 pm

xsnews.com doesn't seem to take credit cards. During sign-up, it asks for a bank account number.
jaearess

Postby jaearess » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 pm

After searching for quite a while, I think I found a provider that matches my criteria: WonderNews.

According to my information, WonderNews is a reseller for XSNews. I haven't had much chance to actually test it yet, but I thought I would report back in case anyone else was interested.
jaearess

Postby LaChoz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I have been using usenet via Supernews provider for a year now.
I have discovered sickbeard only today !

I have encoutered a few times a specific issue with some posts, many more with sickbeard, and I have never known the cause of it :

the download in SABNZB is being processed at 1kb/s, but the progress bar is being filled very fast and showing Mo's being "downloaded". In the end, the download fails with an error message showing "Out of your server's retention?"
This error can happen randomly on any NZB, from a few days old to very old posts.
Trying to download via sickbeard search providers gives me this error even on very recent posts (few months/days)

Is this due to my provider (supernews : 1605 retention days) and is there a way to solve/bypass this kind of issue (changing provider ?) ?

Thank you for any advice.
LaChoz

Postby Fevida » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:03 pm

The problem is that a lot of tvshows and movies are removed from the usenet-servers since a few weeks. The usenetproviders are forced to do this by the parties who enforces the copyright-laws.

I'm using sickbeard to download my favorite tv shows for a long time now, but I'm afraid there's is not a bright future for usenet anymore. Maybe sickbeard will add better torrent-support. Or, maybe somebody can recommend a usenet-provider not affected by these takedowns.
Fevida

Postby ollysharp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 am

Just wanted to add my +1 to WonderNews. I have a block account with them which has been able to fill in gaps missed with my Astraweb account. Paid by Debit Card.
ollysharp

Postby jaearess » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm

My experience with WonderNews has been good so far. I don't download a ton of shows, but it has helped fill in missing pieces (most likely due to DMCA notices) that Giganews and Blocknews have failed on.

I think I'll end up sticking with WonderNews and dropping Blocknews once my current block account there runs out.
jaearess

Postby jaearess » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm

jaearess wrote:My experience with WonderNews has been good so far. I don't download a ton of shows, but it has helped fill in missing pieces (most likely due to DMCA notices) that Giganews and Blocknews have failed on.

I think I'll end up sticking with WonderNews and dropping Blocknews once my current block account there runs out.

For the benefit of anyone in the future looking for a good NL provider--a longer time with WonderNews has proven to not be nearly as good as the initial impression.

The service is fine, of course, and Giganews+WonderNews has worked better for me than Giganews+Blocknews, but it's still not a great solution. I still get a lot of incompletes, including on those I suspect are incomplete because of DMCA takedowns.
jaearess

Postby zorvalth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 am

Ok, I tried like ten providers and the result is always the same. If the episode is 2-3 days old - no problem its downloading fine. But if the episode is alder in most cases - out of your retention time.

Is there a server which can download fine? For example right now i'm trying to download the last 3 episodes of Superantural:

Supernatural.S08E10.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
Supernatural.S08E11.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
Supernatural.S08E12.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION

E12 is fine for now but E10 and E11 can not be downloaded. Can somebody try them? And if success please say which provider do you use?
zorvalth

Postby baronmog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Over the last few months, usenet has become increasingly less useful for me. There are several shows where I can only get about 50% of the episodes now. The rest either appear to never get posted or are irrecoverably incomplete. In the past, I only needed a single usenet account (Giganews). Now, even with Giganews + UNS + Readnews, there aren't enough parts to reconstruct the episode postings.
baronmog

PreviousNext

Return to Support / Bug Reports