XS Usenet - Free usenet backup server

General discussion about Sick Beard or related topics

XS Usenet - Free usenet backup server

Postby zoggy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Just fyi, for those that just use one usenet service provider.. you really should have a block/fill/backup just in case yours is having problems (down, propagation issues, dmca, etc)

Go sign up for a free account at: https://www.xsusenet.com/sign-up
Note that this is a free account that has some restrictions... only 1 Mbit, only good for something posted within the last 10 days.
Also, if you do not use it for more than 30 days it will deactivate and you will have to login to the site to re-activate it.

Info taken from xsusenet's faq:
Address (Free Users only): free.xsusenet.com
Regular Ports: 23, 80, 81, 119, 443, 8080, 2323, 8181
Posting: No
SSL: No
Connections: 2
Retention limit: 10 days

Once you received the automated email containing your username/pw you can then go add it to your usenet downloading application.

How to add in Sabnzbd:

In your browser load up sabnzbd, go to Config > Servers, click on 'Add Server'.
Enable should already be checked.

fill out the form with:
Host: free.xsusenet.com
Port: 119
Username: ###########
Password: ###########
Connections: 2
Retention time: 10
Timeout: 30
Check off 'Backup server'.

Click on 'Test Sever' to verify. If you get back 'Connection Successful!' then your good. Hit 'Save Changes' and enjoy.

What this will do is, if your main usenet service provider fails to serve up an article (articles combine to make a part, which combine to make a file).. it will try getting it from your backup server (xsusenet). Because this only tries if your primary fails.. you shouldn't notice any slowdown with using a backup.. thus it can only help not hurt you.. even with the limited connections/speed/retention.

Now obviously trying to get that 1 year old release.. this isn't going to do much for you. You really then should use a real block/fill account from a usenet service provider that uses a different backend (source) than your primary.. so you have diversity.
zoggy

Re: XS Usenet - Free usenet backup server

Postby zoggy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I just tested ran a few tests,

usenet service providers: astraweb, supernews, newsgroupdirect, xsusenet-free

Game.of.Thrones.S04E04.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON
- 28 hours old, 100% complete on all of them

Game.of.Thrones.S04E03.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON
- 7 days old, dmca'ed on everyone but xsusenet-free

Game.of.Thrones.S04E02.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-DON
- 14 days old, dmca'ed on everyone but xsusenet-free (looks like their 10 day retention may not be so absolute)

so in the end, looks like they may not honor dmca requests very promptly.. hint hint
zoggy

Postby fredblogs » Fri May 02, 2014 5:48 am

So does that mean we should put a larger retention time than 10 for this server?
fredblogs

Postby zoggy » Fri May 02, 2014 6:19 am

fredblogs wrote:So does that mean we should put a larger retention time than 10 for this server?

I would still just use 10 even if there is some grace period.. I wouldn't tell apps / try to rely on it.
It looks like by the time the 14day old nzb got finished d/ling there was several parts that were incomplete/damaged (which I can only assume is due to those articles being older than 10 days but it was able to get some but not all of them)... so while I was able to d/l stuff older than 10 days it may not be 'good' data past that point.
zoggy

Postby evilmordor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am

I get only time outs :(
Downloading the Usenet because i can! No More DMCA!
evilmordor

Postby jpanski » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm

it's unfortunate that the free package doesn't support ssl....don't really want people seeing what traffic is being pulled from them.
jpanski

Postby zoggy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm

jpanski wrote:it's unfortunate that the free package doesn't support ssl....don't really want people seeing what traffic is being pulled from them.

what do you expect for free? if your that worried.. maybe you should just pay your cable provider? :)
zoggy

Postby jpanski » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:26 pm

zoggy wrote:
jpanski wrote:it's unfortunate that the free package doesn't support ssl....don't really want people seeing what traffic is being pulled from them.

what do you expect for free? if your that worried.. maybe you should just pay your cable provider? :)

woah woah woah...lets not get crazy here ;)
jpanski

Postby cyborggold » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I cannot get SAB to connect at all with the settings provided. I have logged into my account on XS and changed my password and even my email addy but still it won't connect to the free server, any ideas?
cyborggold

Postby Cralis » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:24 am

New to Usenet, but without SSL, are you not asking for legal issues? Or are you still safe, except, your ISP might slow your news traffic?
Cralis

Next

Return to General