Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to choose

Discussion and support for lad1337's anime fork

Re: Usenet vs Torrents in SB + which usenet providers to cho

Postby Rubeast » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

stevepork wrote:OMG....... Not one of you have mentioned the service I am using!!!!

Newsdeamon.com -- cheap as chips, I pay $8 a month! Cheaper than anyone else has mentioned!!!!

Again, it maxes out my connection with 50 available. Servers in US and Europe and 1716 day retention!!!!

Beat that!

Newsdeamon also had LOTS of takedowns.
This is my recent list.
http://i.imgur.com/PyE3lLZ.png
Rubeast

Postby dkplayaclub » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:59 pm

So much to learn. A few weeks into my Sickbeard experience and am trying to become an all usenet user, but the hurdles have been many.

So far here is what I have :
- FastUsenet (35GB/mo for $6) and AstraWeb (Unlimited for $20/3 months) as my main providers. Not bad at about $12 per month for unlimited with 2 sources. I will rarely even hit the 35GB limit myself, I just don't want to have to worry about it.
- About half a dozen free providers (what the hell, they're free right). These are almost never really used, but can't hurt to diversify right?

I like the idea of a few backup blocks outside the US, where we have the most idiotically strict copyright laws (90% of what I download is programming I could just as easily DVR). What providers would you guys recommend I use for a backup block keeping that in mind? I would obviously want a provider that offers blocks, is outside the US (and as far removed from the biggest US providers), and is also as far removed from my 2 main providers.
dkplayaclub

Postby rasstar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I use both. Usenet has become a chore and torrents just work. I manually grab torrents when I am unable to get it on usenet which is becoming often.
rasstar

Postby clambert » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:19 am

I use SuperNews and TweakNews for block fills. I seem to be doing ok with TweakNews for block filling movies but it's not so hot for popular TV shows. I'm good with new downloads but once the takedown seems to hit AstraWeb I'm screwed for popular shows. Big Bang Theory is a mess. I had a drive failure and I'm still struggling to regain some of the shows I lost. Anyone have better success with a different Usenet block provider. Is BlockNews any better for TV shows?
Let's Go O's!
clambert

Postby JesusOnEez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am

I'm using UsenetServer monthly unlimited subscription (which cost me about £6.50 p/m) and I have an Astraweb block account (250Gb). I'm using the European servers on both. I got mine set up around March, and so did a lot of back-filling. Movie's I found were not a problem. The only real problems I had with back-filling TV was with about half of all Fringe episodes and a couple of episodes of Arrow. Everything else back-filled nicely. However, I don't watch Game of Thrones nor Mad Men and I understand these can be tricky.

Now everything I want is back-filled, I'd say I have a 99% success rate with anything that gets snatched...I'd say it's mostly down to the indexers rather than the news servers...I don't use free indexers, too much passworded crap. I donated to 3 indexers and I pick up stuff from all 3 with a 99% completion rate. I did try some of the free ones, but with so much utter crud coming through, I went for private indexers instead. Best thing I ever did for my completion rate.

Edit: I had a trial run with tweaknews as well and had good results from that. From what I understand the are not obligated to comply with take-down requests given their location which is in one of the Scandinavian countries I think. I could be wrong on this, but I plan on adding a block account once my Astraweb runs down...
JesusOnEez

Postby ReSpawN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 am

Using GigaNews for the moment, great service, high speed but fairly expensive if you're not a regular leecher like me (~100Gb a month). You'll also get a DumpTruck account, which is sorta like Drop Box or Microsoft's failing SkyDrive and also access to world-wide VPN servers through VyprVPN. Quite nice and the admin panel on my end looks sleek as hell.
ReSpawN

Postby PREngineer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:07 pm

I had Astraweb but they had too many DMCA take downs. Eweka is better in that regard.
PREngineer

Postby TRaSH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:27 am

well latetly i hear allot about that eweka sucks allot of people are having uncomplete.
in my opinion the best would be get like 2 major usenet providers on different networks.
and a few block accounts or some of the free fill accounts.
so you got like all the different networks covered
TRaSH

Postby blindpet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I use Usenetserver as my main unlimited account and Tweaknews as a block account and rarely have any issues.
blindpet

Postby gondar5678 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 am

i like UsenetServer :D
gondar5678

PreviousNext

Return to Anime (lad1337)